Thursday, December 3, 2009

Luke's decannulation attempt

I am posting this because this because I would really appreciate knowing what other parents who have been in this situation think. It is not exactly as I remembered it. Luke does breathe, but seems unable to after his stoma is covered. I don't want to scare anyone with this. Just after the video stops the trach went right back in and his sats recovered immediately. He never got lower than 77 and that was only for a second.

4 comments:

Crystal M. said...

Poor sweetheart!! I think he was just so tired and scared he did not know what to think or do. I hope this all works out for you all real soon.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Sorry things didn't go better with the decannulation attempt. I had tears in my eyes watching Luke trying so hard to breathe. It's times like this that I wonder why things sometimes have to be so hard for our kids. I hope you get some answers as to why his breathing became so hard once the stoma was covered. Luke will get there!

Hugs,
Leslie and Katie

Kelly Fleming said...

Candi: I hate it didn't work better. Perhaps it fought it too much. He'll get there! I promise. Keeping you guys in our prayers!

Love you!

Kristi said...

Candi... so sorry that this didn't go as you'd hoped and planned.
Was part of it the terror of the lights, the nurse (or doctor) gowned and gloved and the camera and the hospital setting in general? I know that for Gracie, things (regardless of what they are) are far more stressful while in the hospital (especially at Luke's age).

Hoping that since this last post, you've had more success and/or gotten more insight as to why Luke can't (or doesn't) breathe easily with the stoma covered. I also, of course, hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season in the meantime.

Thinking of you,
Kristi